30.1.12

Brian Dettmer

Today while surfing the web in between classes I found myself flipping through a slide show of sculptures so unique, and so intricate, my brain didn't really know how to take it all in. So with that I am sharing a few pieces of Brian Dettmer's work with you. Click Here for a link to his website.

Here is a wonderfully written excerpt from his website explaining how he creates these beautiful pieces of art:

"In this work I begin with an existing book and seal its edges, creating an enclosed vessel full of unearthed potential. I cut into the surface of the book and dissect through it from the front. I work with knives, tweezers and surgical tools to carve one page at a time, exposing each layer while cutting around ideas and images of interest. Nothing inside the books is relocated or implanted, only removed. Images and ideas are revealed to expose alternate histories and memories. My work is a collaboration with the existing material and its past creators and the completed pieces expose new relationships of the book’s internal elements exactly where they have been since their original conception."







No comments:

Post a Comment